BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 27, 2009

5th Singapore Infantry Regiment, Lim Chu Kang..

Dated 2005..


I have been in the 5th Singapore Infantry Regiment for a year..
Almost all my first year Officers had left and I was promoted to the 2IC of the company.

There was a scheduled night walk exercise in the vicinity of Lim Chu Kang, I considered myself lucky that even though I heard so much stories but nothing happened to me.. 
But that night was not meant to be as lucky..

The exercise begins and as a 2IC of the company, I would have to walk at the rear which means technically means I will be the last man walking through the jungle in the night with no one behind me.. But I also have my runner, Eeks walking with me... So i didnt thought about the matter..

An hour or so into the walk.. In the midst of the vegetation, Eeks with his signal set, walked up to me and asked, "Sir, 你听到有人吹口哨?" 
It stunt me as I had absolutely heard nothing.. Not wanting my mind to wander and think wildly and with the mind set of finishing the walk with no one from my company falling out, I agreed to letting him swap places and me, walking at the very rear... 

I had a ear piece stuck into one side of my ear as its the primary communication with my Company Commander..

Then suddenly, I heard that...
The whistling from behind... It was confirm whistling.. My hairs were all on its end, ready to jump out of my skin.. Silly thoughts came to mind, loads of "what ifs"...
Like a pat on the shoulder, 
Breathings near the ear... 
The whistling is following behind us and it doesnt help as I was carrying an 84..

I knew I had to seek courage from the front and not be afraid with only myself but I didnt want Eeks to know and make him live on the tenterhooks.. 
I said to Eeks: "Eeks, walk with me, chit chat leh, if not very boring.."
Thank god, he agreed...

And then the whistling went away slowly...


I am absolutely sure we were in the vegetation where no one could be around the company.
No one could have walked behind us.. NO ONE!

0 comments: